Prevention & Early Intervention
- State of Alaska Epidemiologic Profile on Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency: Consumption and Consequences. Update 2013.
The Epidemiology Workgroup of the Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant has just released the Update 2013 of their comprehensive review of substance use data for the State of Alaska. To obtain a copy click here.
New media campaign to help parents talk to younger children about the dangers of underage drinking. “Talk. They Hear You.” a new national public service announcement (PSA) campaign that empowers parents to talk to children as young as nine years old about the dangers of underage drinking was recently launched by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). For copies of all the campaign materials go to: http://samhsa.gov/underagedrinking/
Alaska’s Strategies to Prevent Underage Drinking is an update of the 2009 publication on preventing underage drinking. These recommendations are an overview of what existing literature describes as being effective. The specific actions are items the committee believes are possible to implement in the next three years. Increasing the use of these recommendations and specific actions will help to build a stronger foundation in the statewide effort to prevent underage drinking.
Upcoming Training & Conferences
- 2014 School Health & Wellness Institute,,“Healthy Students...Successful Students", Hilton Hotel, Anchorage, Alaska, October 15-17, 2014. www.akshwi.com.
- ADIS PROVIDERS TRAINING. Tuesday, October 28, 2014 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The Change Companies® in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health, will be conducting two days of informative, interactive training for new and certified ADIS instructors.
- The Alaska Children’s Alliance Presents Transcending Adversity: 2014 Alaska Child Maltreatment Conference. November 17-19; Post Conference Dates, November 20-21, 2014. Anchorage Hilton Hotel.
- 32nd Annual Health Summit: “Healthy Alaskans: Every Day, Every Community.” January 27-29, 2015. Hotel Captain Cook, Anchorage.