Adult Public Assistance (APA)
Alaska’s Adult Public Assistance (APA) program provides cash assistance to needy aged, blind, and disabled Alaskans to help them remain independent. The APA program gives cash to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients and others who have income and resources within APA income and resource limits. APA recipients are also eligible for Medicaid benefits.
Requirements for Eligibility:
Blind or Disabled
- People who are under the age of 65 must be blind or disabled.
- Blind - A person is blind if his or her vision, with the use of a correcting lens, is 20/200 or less in the better eye. A person who has tunnel vision of 20 degrees or less in the better eye is also considered blind.
- Disabled - A person is disabled if he or she is unable to participate in any substantial gainful activity because of a medically verified physical or mental impairment other than drug or alcohol addiction. This impairment must have lasted, or be expected to last, for a continuous period of at least 12 months, or be expected to end in death.
Development of Income:
- A person must apply for and pursue any other benefits for which he or she appears eligible.
- Such benefits include: federal SSI benefits, private and public sector pensions and annuities, Social Security Insurance benefits, Unemployment Insurance, Department of Veterans Affairs pension and compensation benefits, Workers’ Compensation, and other disability benefits.
US Citizenship or Eligible Immigrant Status:
- A person must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified immigrant.
- A person must be a resident of Alaska.
- A person who is not blind or disabled must be at least 65 years old.
- A person who is blind or disabled must be at least 18 years old.
- Resources may not exceed $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
- An individual's or couple’s countable monthly income cannot be higher than the income limits of the APA program.
- Click on the link to view the current APA income limits and payment standards:
Adult Public Assistance Income Limits and Payment Standards
Click here to register to vote online!
Contact Information for Local Offices
For more information contact
E-mail DPA Policy: email@example.com
Phone: (907) 465-3347
Fax: (907) 465-5254
Address: PO Box 110640 Juneau, AK 99811-0640
More Contact Information