Applying for Health Care Coverage?
There are several ways to apply for Medicaid (Denali KidCare and DenaliCare) and other Health Insurance Coverage. You can:
1. www.healthcare.gov (Through the Federally Facilitated Marketplace) OR
2. https://aries.alaska.gov (using your My Alaska account which is the same one you use to apply for a PFD.) This is the ARIES Self Service Portal (SSP), Click on ARIES-Public Assistance: People can currently apply for other types of MAGI Medicaid using this system. OR
3. Download and print an application and mail, fax or drop it off at a Division of Public Assistance (DPA) office. OR
4. Pick up and submit an application at a Public Assistance Office or with a fee agent in their village.
Note: other public assistance programs require interviews to apply- this one doesn’t.
Read the ARIES Informational Overview for a description of the new Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) rules used to determine DenaliCare/Denali KidCare eligibility and for a better understanding of the online application process in the myAlaska self-service portal (SSP).
MAGI rules are used to determine Medicaid eligibility for these categories: Parents/Caretaker Relatives, Pregnant Women, Children under 19, Under 21, Former Foster Care, and the Expansion Group.
Frequently Asked Questions on Medicaid Expansion in Alaska (PDF)
Medicaid Expansion Sign-Up Flyer (PDF)
If you have submitted an application for Pregnant Woman Medicaid and have not received a notice informing you of the status of your application, please call 1-844-864-2229 (BABY). Please be prepared to provide your case number, your full name, social security number, and a valid phone number.
Please call 1-844-231-7880, if you submitted an application for Medicaid and someone is experiencing an emergent need for medical assistance such as:
Medical procedures to address a life threatening illness or injury
Travel for high risk medical procedures
Prescriptions that need to be filled
For information about community resources that may help you until your application is processed, please call 2-1-1.
ARIES eligibility system overview
- Health Insurance, Medicaid, and Denali KidCare Frequently Asked Questions
Alaska's Safe Surrender of Infants Act
- Text4Baby is a new resource for pregnant mothers. This is a service designed to provide free, health –related text messages to pregnant women and new mothers. Women who sign up for this service by texting BABY to 511411 will receive free SMS text messages each week, timed to their due date or baby’s date of birth.
- View current maximum monthly Food Stamp benefit amounts
- Native Family Assistance Program Guide
Public Assistance Videos