Fire Safety facts and suggestions
or call:(907) 269-3489
Burns and Fire-Related Injury Prevention
Nationally, the number of dormitory-style housing fires has increased by 3%.
A fire at Princeton University in the year 2000 took only 17 minutes to kill 3 people and injure dozens. View their fire safety presentation.
- When looking for housing, look for sprinklers in all areas of the building.
- Make sure there are smoke alarms inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area on each level or floor.
- Know at least 2 exits out of every room you are in.
- Candles can create a disaster. They are strictly prohibited in some facilities.
- Some facilities allow only approved types of furniture and appliances, so check first.
- Free-hanging decorations and curtains should be minimized.
- Keep paper products at a minimum. Throw out piles of newspapers and magazines.
- Never re-heat pizza in the box.
- Don't hang anything from a sprinkler head