Fire Safety facts and suggestions
or call:(907) 269-3489
Burns and Fire-Related Injury Prevention
- People 80 years and older die in fires at three times the rate of the rest of the population.
- Keep your escape path cleared to avoid falling if you need to leave your house.
- If it's possible, sleep on the ground floor to eliminate climbing stairs in an emergency.
- If you need assistance to leave your house in the event of a fire, have those people practice your escape plan with you.
- Be sure windows and doors will open and are not nailed or sealed shut.
- A timer is helpful in the kitchen to avoid leaving cooking unattended.
- If you wear glasses, keep them near you at all times so you can find them when needed.
- Maintaining good balance and flexibility will help you negotiate your escape plan.