Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Burn and Fire-related Injury Prevention
Fire Safety facts and suggestions
or call:(907) 269-3489
Questions and Answers
- Nationally, what percentage of fire-related deaths were the result of home fires?
- How many people died in home fires everyday in 2008?
- From 2003-2006 how many of all home fire deaths were the result of no working smoke alarm?
- Nationally, a fire department responded to a home fire every _____ seconds.
- What is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries?
- What causes one of every four home fire deaths?
Smoking materials (cigarettes, etc.)
- Which rooms are the leading areas for the start of a fire that resulted in a death?
Bedrooms and living/family rooms
- What causes the most burns seen in an emergency room, thermal (heat or fire) or scalding (hot liquids)?
Thermal burns, nearly 2-to-1
- What is the leading cause of home fires?
- What causes so many cooking fires?
- What is the leading cause of fire deaths, roughly one in four?
- How many smoking-material (cigarettes, etc.) fires in the USA in 2006.
- In 2006, how many fire-related deaths occurred in the USA due to smoking materials (cigarettes, etc.)?
- Are older or younger adults at highest risk of death or injury from smoking-material (cigarettes, etc.) fires?
Older, even though they are less likely to smoke
- What is the most common item first ignited in home smoke-material (cigarette, etc.) fire deaths?
Upholstered furniture and mattresses or bedding
- How often are the victims of fatal smoking-related fires not the smoker whose cigarette started the fire?
25% or one of four victims
- Almost all USA homes have at least one smoke alarm, but 63% of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes without ______________ smoke alarms.
Working or functional
- More than half of all heating equipment related fire deaths in 2003-2006 resulted from fires in what months?
December, January and February
- Do space heaters or central heating devised cause more fires?
- Most of the space heater fires were caused by the space heater ___________________.
Being too close to things that could burn
- In electrical caused fires, do wiring switches/outlets cause more fires than cords/plugs?
Yes, wiring switches cause many more fires than do cords or plugs
- Roughly half of the people arrested for arson are ______ years of age.
- Having a working smoke alarm cuts the chances of dying in a fire by ______
- From 2003-2006, no smoke alarms were present in ____% of home fire deaths.
- What is the leading reason for people disabling their smoke alarms?
- In a recent national survey, how many people said they actually developed and practiced a home fire escape plan?
Only one in four, or about 25%
- Which age group is least likely to have developed a fire escape plan?
18 - 24 year olds
- How many people said their first thought upon hearing a smoke alarm would be to get out of the house or building?