Rural and Community Health Systems
The Division of Public Health's Rural and Community Health Systems -- a section encompassing the Health Emergency Response Operations and EMS units as well as the Alaska Trauma System and Office of Healthcare Access -- leads the way in preparing the State of Alaska and its citizens for any public health emergency or disaster, either natural or man-made.
The Section accomplishes this goal by:
- working, planning, and training with its partner agencies and providing educational materials for healthcare agencies and the general public;
- conducting training for first responders and healthcare agencies;
- holding readiness exercises for and with our local, state, federal, tribal and non-profit partners;
- ensuring the availability and quality of EMS personnel and agencies in Alaska through guidelines, training, certification, technical assistance, data collection, and quality assurance activities;
- providing emergency planning support for Alaskan communities and healthcare agencies; and
- providing grant funding for statewide hospital and healthcare preparedness and for the operations of the seven EMS Regions.