Skip to content

Information for Out-Of-State Applicants

EMT Comity Requirements (excerpted from 7 AAC 26.150)

The qualifications for certification for applicants with out-of-state are found in the Comity section of the EMT/EMT-Instructor certification regulations. Briefly, the qualifications for EMT-I, EMT-II or EMT-III certification states that the department will issue a certificate to a person who has a valid certification as an EMT-I, EMT-II, or EMT-III, or the equivalent in another state or territory or has a valid certification from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, if the person provides the department with the following:

  • a copy of the valid state, territory, or National Registry certification;
  • evidence of valid CPR credential;
  • other proof of qualifications that the department, in its discretion, requires;
  • evidence of successful completion of the written and practical examination, administered by the department, at the level for which the person is applying, unless the person is applying for certification as an EMT-I;
  • for applicants for EMT-II or EMT-III certification, evidence of the sponsorship of a medical director, approved by the department, who accepts the responsibilities set out in 7 AAC 26.640; and
  • a non-refundable application fee of $25

A person must be currently certified in another state or territory or the National Registry of EMTs at the time of application. Individuals who are not currently certified are ineligible for certification in Alaska based on these regulations.

A person who is certified or licensed in another state or territory as an EMT-I, or equivalent, but whose training does not include the objectives contained in the United States Department of Transportation, National Standard Curriculum for the Emergency Medical Technician: Basic, 1994, will be issued an EMT-I certificate valid until December 31 of the year of application, but the person must take a department approved refresher training program and must apply for recertification as an EMT-I in order to practice as an EMT-I after that date.

When providing mutual aid, and when treating and transporting a patient to or within this state, a person who is licensed or certified in another state, territory, or nation, as an EMT, mobile intensive care paramedic, or some other designation as an emergency medical responder, may provide care consistent with the scope of practice in the state, territory, or nation of origin, so long as medical direction is provided by a physician for advanced life support procedures, and the care is not precluded by the laws of the state, territory, or national of origin.

The department will, in its discretion, issue an EMT-I, EMT-II, or EMT-III certificate to a person living in another state, territory, or nation, if the person will provide care in this state under a mutual aid agreement with an emergency medical service certified under AS 18.08 and this chapter. The applicant must meet the requirements of 7 AAC 26.030, except that a person providing advanced life support may be under the sponsorship of a physician licensed in the other state, territory, or nation who agrees to fulfill the requirements outlined in 7 AAC 26.640.

Comity Application Forms

The comity form (.pdf) for EMT-I, EMT-II and EMT-III certification is available for download. Persons who will need to take the Alaska written and practical examinations are encouraged to jump to the download page and download the relevant skill sheets, trauma guidelines, cold injuries guidelines, and the Guide for EMTs in Alaska.

EMS Agencies

The State EMS Office does not maintain a list of position vacancies and those interested in employment should contact potential employers directly. A list of EMS provider agencies is available for downloading HERE (.pdf).

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics (MICP)

Please note that Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics are licensed through the Alaska State Medical Board. Click here to view the mobile intens