When you bike, you need wheels. When you swim,
you need water. When you ski you need snow and boards under your feet. But when you run, you need little more than the right attitude.
“You can cover distance, you can do it anywhere, and you don’t need equipment to do it,” said Olympic skier Kikkan Randall, who also won the 2011 Mount Marathon trail race.
“And,” added Holly Brooks, the current Mount Marathon champ, “You never know when it’s going to come in handy.”
Like when you go from freeze to speed when playing tag, capture the flag, soccer and “keep-up-with-the-dog.” Truth is, you can jog or run anywhere – on trails, tracks, treadmills, playgrounds, grassy fields, sand, and mountain scree.
Running can also propel you into fun and unexpected territory. Randall got into skiing to stay in shape for cross country running, and later carried that momentum from Mount Marathon to Sochi, Russia – where she raced in the 2014 Winter Olympics where Holly did the same, and many other athletes and Alaskans integrate running into their journeys.
The fish are running and so should you. Check out the Alaska Runner’s Calendar for outdoor events and fun runs throughout Alaska. Here’re a few upcoming highlights from the list:
- July 23 and July 30, Aug. 6: The Salmon Run 1K and 5K race series, 5 p.m. registration and 6 p.m. 5K run start, Wednesdays on the Tsalteshi Trails in Soldotna, www.kenaiwatershed.org.
- July 25: The Pipeline Run in the Late night Sun 5K in Delta Junction, 8 p.m., http://deltanafair.com/fair_events/pipeline-run/.
- July 25: Relay for Life in Kodiak, 6 p.m. to 6 p.m., www.relayforlifeofkodiak.org.
- July 26: Dog Jog 1-mile/5-mile runs in Anchorage, 10 a.m., www.friendsofpets.org.
- Aug 2: Blueberry Fun Run & Walk 1 mile kid run, plus 5k/10k in Ketchikan, 9 a.m., www.ketchikanrunningclub.com.
- Aug 3: 12th Annual Running with the Bulls 1K, 5K and 10K at the Musk Ox Farm in Palmer, 1 p.m., www.muskoxfarm.org/events/.
- Aug 9: Alaska Statehood Fun Run/Walk 5.5K in Fairbanks, 10 a.m., www.runningclubnorth.org.
- Aug 10: Breast Cancer Beach Run in Homer, www.kbfpc.org.
- Aug 16: Big Wild Life 2K for kids in Anchorage, 9:30 a.m., www.bigwildliferuns.com.
- Aug 16: Superhero 5K in Kenai, 11 a.m., www.facebook.com/#!/KenaiSuperhero5kRunWalk.
- Aug 17: Big Wild Life Runs in Anchorage, assorted courses, www.bigwildliferuns.org.
- Aug 23: The Milk Run trail 5K course in Anchorage, www.owensmilkmoney.org.
- Aug 30: Houston Half Marathon & Relay with ½-mile and 1-mile kids’ dashes, 11:30 a.m., www.thehoustonhalf.com.
- Aug 30: McCarthy-Kennicott Half Marathon and 5K, www.wrangells.org.
- Aug 30: End of Summer Mini Marathon 5K in Seldovia, www.seldoviachamer.org.