2005 Annual Report
This report has been converted into a PDF
document requiring Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher. If
you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer,
click on the Adobe logo to download the free software now.
HOW THIS REPORT IS ORGANIZED
- View the 2005 Annual Report in its entirety. Use either the
Table of Contents or bookmarks to navigate through the document.
- The introduction provides an overview of Alaska, information
on population and demographics and an explanation of how vital
statistics are collected and recorded.
- This chapter includes tables and charts showing numbers of
births and rates by census areas and Native regional corporation
boundaries; births by race, marital status, age, and education
of mothers; prenatal care, place of birth, and birth weight.
and Infant Deaths
- This chapter includes tables showing fetal and infant deaths
and mortality rates by census areas and Native regional corporation
boundaries; and infant deaths by selected causes of death.
and Adolescent Deaths
- This chapter provides specific information on deaths to children
from ages 0 through19 years of age.
- This chapter includes charts and tables on deaths by census
area and Native regional corporation area; death rates, causes
of death; and age, gender, and race of decedents.
- The adoption chapter provides information on census areas
and Native regional corporation boundaries where adoption decrees
were granted, adoptions by age, and adoptions by race.
- This chapter provides information on the number and rates
of marriages and divorces by residence census areas and Native
regional corporation boundaries, and divorces by type of decree.
A: Definition of Terms
- Appendix A contains definitions of terms used in the annual
B: Technical Notes
- Appendix B contains technical information explaining use of
vital statistics and formula calculations.
- Appendix C shows ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes used in specific causes
D: Prenatal Care
- Appendix D explains the criteria for determining level of
E: Year 2000 Health Objectives
- Appendix F shows several Year 2010 health objectives and the
measures achieved for each in 2003 through 2005.
- Appendix F: Sample Certificates (Not available)
G: Geographic Information
- Appendix H includes each village in Alaska and the census
area and Native regional corporation within which it lies.
H: Population Overview
- Appendix I includes population estimates for 2005 used in
- Appendix J includes borough/census area and Native Regional
Corporation maps of Alaska.
Most of the data and health indicators presented in this report
are based upon information supplied by many people throughout
the state. Birth mothers, doctors, midwives, other birth attendants,
medical facilities, medical examiners, magistrates, funeral directors,
and a host of other individuals complete information on vital
The staff of the Bureau of Vital Statistics extends our gratitude
to each person who participated in our data gathering effort.
Accurate data are essential to the Bureau's efforts to report
reliable vital event information. We appreciate the assistance
of others in maintaining the integrity of our data.