PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
Incomplete applications or applications that do not include proper photo identification will be returned unprocessed.
- The husband or wife may obtain a certified copy of their own divorce certificate.
- A divorce certificate can also be furnished to a legal representative. Legal representatives must submit a certified copy of the legal document when requesting a divorce certificate that is not their own.
- Use the full first, middle, and last names as they appear on the certificate when filling out the request form.
- We can only process requests for divorces that occurred in Alaska. For divorces that occurred outside of Alaska, requests must be sent directly to the appropriate state
- ALL REQUESTS MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF GOVERNMENT-ISSUED PICTURE ID OF THE PERSON REQUESTING THE DIVORCE CERTIFICATE. Enlarge the copy and lighten it as much as possible to ensure it is clear and readable when sent to the Bureau, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE FAXING YOUR REQUEST. REQUESTS WITH DARK OR UNCLEAR COPIES OF IDs WILL BE RETURNED UNPROCESSED. Your signature under the copied ID is also required.
The following are acceptable for identification purposes:
- A driver's license or official identification card issued by another state in the U.S., jurisdiction or territory, unexpired, or expired for not more than one year.
- An unexpired U.S. or foreign passport.
- U.S. military identification, military dependent identification or veteran's identification.
- If you are currently living in Alaska, a BIA or tribal identification card will also be accepted.
If you are unable to provide any of the above-mentioned forms of identification, please contact the Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics at 907.465.3391 to speak with a customer service representative.
SUBMITTING YOUR REQUEST:
- Print and complete the request form and mail it or fax it to our office.
- Walk-in service is also available in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau. Please check our website for office hours and location.
- Vital records requests contain confidential information. Therefore, we highly recommend you mail your request. E-mail, although convenient, is not secure and subject to fraud.
- Remember to sign your request and enclose the correct fees as well as a copy of picture ID.
- You may place your order and pay by credit card online at https://hss.state.ak.us/certak. You will be required to fax identification and the CertAK authorization form to our office.
- Requests sent by regular mail will normally be processed within 2 -3 weeks after receipt by the Bureau.
- For expedited service please visit our web site at https://hss.state.ak.us/certak. There is an $11.00 fee for expedited requests. Expedited requests are normally processed within three business days.
- Normal processing times can be greater during periods of high volume. Please plan accordingly and allow for mailing time.
- Alaska charges a search fee for records. Once an order is received and processed, the first $30 record search fee is not refundable. If you order multiple copies and no record is found, the fees for the extra copies will be refunded.
- The first copy of a certificate is $30.00 and additional copies are $25 for each copy of the same record ordered at the same time.
- Records requiring an Apostille: Divorce Certificates requiring authentication for a foreign country have additional fees. The additional charge is $12.00 for the first record, with $2.00 added for each additional copy of the same record. This includes the $2.00 fee for the Lt. Governor's office. The country that the record is being sent to must be noted on your request.
- All NSF checks will be sent to a collection agency. There will be a $30.00 charge for returned checks.
- For additional information on obtaining Alaska Vital Records, please contact the Records Processing Unit in Juneau at 907.465.3391.