Birth Control Methods
Why is family planning important to you as an individual?
Family Planning services support people’s decisions about when, or if, they would like to have children by offering education, counseling and birth control methods. Planned pregnancies spaced two or more years apart result in healthier babies and fewer medical problems for the woman. Planning for a child will help you avoid the social, health, and financial problems you face if an unplanned pregnancy happens.
There are many birth control methods and techniques available today. No one method is best for everyone at every stage of life. You can choose a birth control method to match your personal needs. It is important to think about what method will be best for you. Here are some questions you might ask yourself:
- How well does this method work to prevent pregnancy?
- How do I use it?
- Where can I get it?
- Can I afford it?
- Will my partner like this method and help me use it?
- How does this method work?
- What are the common side effects?
- What are its advantages and disadvantages?
- How long do I plan to use birth control?
- Will this method possibly affect my ability to get pregnant in the future?
You can use this website to find information to help you start thinking about your choices. You won't find all the answers to your questions here. Before you decide on a birth control method talk with your health care provider.
Making a decision about your pregnancy
Health Provider Resources