Perinatal Health Program
What is perinatal health?
It is the health of women and babies before, during, and after birth.
Examples of perinatal health issues are:
- Access to prenatal care
- Use of tobacco, alcohol and other substances during pregnancy
- Birth defects, infections like cytomegalovirus
- Maternal medical conditions that affect pregnancy like diabetes, obesity, and hypertension
- Unnecessary C-sections and labor induction
- Premature birth and low birthweight babies
- Infant mortality, including infant sleep-related death
- Shaken Baby Syndrome, sometimes call abusive head trauma
- Perinatal depression