Your Family Emergency Plan
Your family can work together to develop a family emergency plan before an emergency occurs. Sit down together and figure out:
- How you will get in touch with each other
- A safe place to meet, both within and outside of your neighborhood
Practice your plan regularly, and ask your school, daycare provider, and workplace to share their site-specific emergency plan!
For mothers: make an emergency birth plan
Prepare for Birth Emergencies:
- Take a childbirth class to learn about labor, delivery, and after birth care;
- Prepare a birth emergency kit that includes clean towels, sheets, latex or vinyl gloves, sanitary pads, and diapers;
- Learn the signs of early labor. Talk with your healthcare provider so you feel confident identifying these signs; and
- Learn infant CPR (first aid).
More emergency preparedness information for moms and babies is available in Staying Safe: Disaster preparedness for pregnant women and families with infants.