Steps to Become a Volunteer
The Alaska Medicare Information Office relies on trained volunteers throughout the state to help Alaskans with Medicare.
Should you become a State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) and/or a Senior Medicare Programs (SMP) volunteer?
- Yes, if you enjoy helping people
- Are dependable, patient, and compassionate
- Are able to understand and explain complex issues
- Can protect client confidentiality
- Can work during the workday
- Have easy access to the web and email
If this describes you, see what the next steps are:
- Step 1.Please email our Medicare Information Office Volunteer Coordinator, Nila Morgan, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Primary email address:
Interests or experience:
- Step 2.Complete Volunteer Application packet provided by Medicare Information Office, Volunteer Coordinator
- Step 3. Interview in-person or by telephone to determine job description & training plan.
- Step 4. Complete training for your job description as assigned.
- Step 5. Receive assessment and coaching feedback as required for your job description.
- Step 6. Start your job description and mentoring as appropriate.
For additional training opportunities or if you have questions about these steps contact
Nila Morgan, Volunteer Coordinator at (907) 269-4199 or 1-800-478-6065.