Skip to content

More Information

Thank you for considering becoming a foster parent!

This section will answer some questions you might have about licensed foster care. You may be caring for a relative, or opening your home to an unrelated child. By becoming a foster parent, you can be a good role model and give children a safe, stable, and nurturing home while their families get the help they need. We look forward to working with you and value the time and care you give to the children in our state.

How do I financially support a foster child?

A licensed foster care provider will receive a monthly reimbursement payment to provide for the needs of the foster child in their care. The Department of Health and Social Services establishes the foster care reimbursement rates. This rate is calculated on a daily basis for the time a child is in your home. Reimbursement includes the day the child is admitted to your home, but not the day the child leaves. This reimbursement is intended for services rendered, which means you receive an established daily rate for the number of nights a child has been placed in your home.

Reimbursement rates vary by community because of geographic differences in the cost of living. Current foster care rates.

Relative providers who choose not become licensed can apply for the Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP), or a Native Family Assistance Program (NFAP) (if you live within an NFAP service area) for cash assistance to help with food, housing, clothing and school costs for a relative child in care.

Medical Care:

Most children who come into foster care are eligible for Medicaid. Foster parents receive Medicaid coupons to use to pay for medical care. Foster parents need to use a health provider who will accept Medicaid payments for services.

Clothing allowances:

The Office of Children's Services may approve a limited one-time clothing allowance if the amount and quality of the child's clothing does not meet a minimum standard. A clothing allowance is used only when the child comes into custody and does not have basic items such as pants, shirts, shoes, snowsuit or boots.

Any clothing purchased for a child in care belongs to the child and is to go with the child whenever he or she moves or is returned home. It is expected that a child will leave with sufficient, clean clothes in good condition.


Childcare may be partially paid for by OCS. Your assigned caseworker and her/his supervisors review approval for assistance (on a case-by-case basis) with childcare payments. Ask your assigned caseworker for a list of licensed childcare providers or contact a local childcare resource and referral agency. Information about childcare in Alaska is available on the Division of Public Assistance Child Care website.

Damage or loss of property:
The Office of Children's Services may reimburse a foster family for damages and loses. The foster family must complete a Foster Parent Report of Stolen/Damaged Property or Personal Injury (06-9440) form. Contact the assigned caseworker for reimbursement information.